Full Time Bilingual Staff Attorney
THE ORGANIZATION: Network for Victim Recovery of DC (NVRDC) seeks bi-lingual Spanish-speaking full- time staff attorney to advocate for and represent victims of crime in DC. This attorney will work collaboratively with NVRDC's leadership, legal team, and case managers to provide legal support and advocacy to victims of crime with a strong focus on advocacy for survivors of sexual assault. This individual will be resourceful, highly organized, a team player, a critical and analytical thinker, self-reflective and self-aware, and open to growth and learning. The staff attorney will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds to demonstrate NVRDC’s dedication to social justice and access to justice for all victims of crime in DC.
THE POSITION SUMMARY: This is a full-time (40+ hours per week), FLSA exempt, at-will position. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Local and federal holidays will be paid holidays. NVRDC offers a competitive benefits package for paid-time off, contribution for the cost of the health care coverage, retirement plan options, and professional development. Additionally, NVRDC is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Foundation’s Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP).
POSITION PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: The majority of the staff attorney’s time will be spent maintaining a civil and criminal caseload. This legal advocacy will include Civil Protection Order representation, campus administrative Title IX representation, and direct representation of crime victims in DC Superior Court pursuant to the Crime Victims’ Rights Act (18 U.S.C. § 3771) and the DC Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights (DC Code 23-1901).
Specific responsibilities include:
• Assisting crime victims in DC with criminal legal advocacy, support. and representation;
• Providing civil legal advocacy and representation related to Civil Protection Orders for survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and stalking;
• Offering Title IX assistance for campus survivors of intimate partner violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking;
• Working closely with NVRDC’s case management staff to develop and deploy NVRDC Outreach trainings;
• Maintaining accurate case records and responsibility for project specific grant reporting;
• Working closely with law enforcement agencies, schools, health and welfare agencies, and community partners;
• Representing NVRDC within the victim services and legal communities;
• Continuing to grow and seek professional development opportunities for the position and organization; and
• Performing other duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate for this position will have moderate trial experience or have completed a judicial clerkship. The candidate must possess a combination of education and direct service experience working with crime victims. The candidate must also possess a demonstrated commitment to both public interest work and assistance to underserved populations. This position requires a self-starter who learns quickly and works well independently and as a team player.
Specific skills and background must include:
• Spanish fluency required;
• DC-barred attorney (or has a DC Bar application currently pending)—applicants who do not meet this qualification will not be considered.
• Direct victim services legal experience;
• A demonstrated desire to work with crime victims and ensure they receive needed services;
• Demonstrated knowledge and/or commitment to providing representation to survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and stalking in Civil Protection Order proceedings;
• Demonstrated knowledge and/or commitment to providing representation for campus survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner/dating violence, and stalking seeking Title IX accommodations and campus student conduct hearing assistance;
• Strong oral and written communications skills;
• Knowledge of victim services available within DC;
• Experience working for marginalized and underserved communities and crime victims; and
• A reputation for integrity, dependability, and professionalism.
HOW TO APPLY: Please follow these specific instructions for submitting your application:
a. Email your resume and cover letter in PDF format to Jennifer Jackson at email@example.com by midnight on May 31, 2019. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so we encourage applicants to apply early. Only emailed submissions will be accepted.
b. Use the subject line: “May 2019 Attorney Position”
c. In the body of the email, copy and paste these questions and add your answer to each question below in a “yes” or “no” format. It is not acceptable to write “See Resume” in response to these questions.
i. Are you a DC-barred attorney (or have a DC Bar application currently pending for admission by motion to the DC Bar under rules 46(d)(3), 46(e)(3)(A), or 46(e)(3)(b))?
ii. If offered the position, would you be able to start within approximately two weeks of receiving an offer?
iii. Are you fluent in Spanish?
NVRDC will implement a blind recruitment process for the hiring of this position. NVRDC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence or stalking, or any other status protected by applicable federal and District of Columbia laws. Women of color, survivors of gender-based violence, and LGBTQ folks are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified applicants upon request. Auxiliary aids and services are available in alternative formats.
Please note that NVRDC will only consider applicants who are current members of the DC Bar or who have a pending application for admission by motion to the DC Bar under Rules 46(d)(3), 46(e)(3)(A), or Rule 46(e)(3)(B). Applicants who fail to meet this requirement will not be considered.