Below, please find the following information related to how we collect, use, or disclose information:
- Information we collect from the Site;
- How we use information we collect from the Site;
- When we disclose information collected from the Site;
- Our use of analytics providers;
- Your choices regarding information we collect from the Site;
- Third-party links; and
- NVRDC’s contact information.
1. Information We Collect from the Site
We collect information when you provide it directly to us, such as when you fill out a form to contact us to inquire about our services or to make a donation. To help us improve the Site and monitor our Site, we may also collect some information about your web browser or device, such as your IP address.
Information You Provide Directly to Us
When you use the Site, you may provide information directly to us. For example, you may provide us with information when you seek services for yourself or others, or where you are seeking volunteer opportunities with us. You may also provide us with information if you make donations to us, or if you are volunteering with us to help advance our cause. You may also provide us with information through the Site by generally communicating with us through the Site.
Your privacy is very important to us, and we take it seriously. For example, if you submit a request for services through the Site’s “Contact Us” function, we take steps to protect it from disclosure, including limiting the individuals who have access to information submitted through the Site.
Information That is Passively or Automatically Collected
We may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices you use to access the Site. This can include your IP address, browser type, the metropolitan area, city, state or country from which you accessed the Site, and information related to the ways you interact with the Site (such as referring and exit web pages and URLs, pages and content viewed, and statistical information about your use of the Site). We may also use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
Cookies and Other Electronic Technologies:
We may also collect data about your use of the Site through the use of Internet server logs, cookies and/or tracking pixels. A web server log is a file where website activity is stored. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer when you visit a website, that enables us to: (i) recognize your computer; (ii) store your preferences and settings; (iii) understand the web pages of the Site you have visited; (iv) perform searches and analytics; and (v) assist with security administrative functions. Some cookies are placed in your browser cache while those associated with Flash technologies are stored with your Adobe Flash Player files. Tracking pixels (sometimes referred to as web beacons or clear GIFs) are tiny electronic tags with a unique identifier embedded in websites and/or email, and that are designed to provide usage information like clicks, measure statistics related to the Site, and to access user cookies. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Please note that you can change your settings to notify you when a cookie is being set or updated, or to block cookies altogether. Please consult the "Help" section of your browser for more information (e.g., Internet Explorer; Google Chrome; Mozilla Firefox; or Apple Safari). You can also manage the use of Flash technologies, including cookies and local storage objects with the Flash management tools available at Adobe's website. Please note that by blocking any or all cookies, you may not have access to certain areas of the Site.
2. How We Use Information We Collect from the Site
We use the information we collect from the Site to further our goal to empower crime victims in Washington, D.C., including responding to victim requests for services and assistance, improving our Site, and communicating with those who want to volunteer or work with us.
We may use the information we collect from you through the Site for the following purposes:
- For the purposes for which you provided it, such as to respond to your request for legal, mental health, security, or housing assistance;
- To provide the services available through the Site;
- To communicate with you regarding your requests, including requests for services or for information regarding how you can help;
- To analyze and assess what services may be helpful to you;
- To improve the Site;
- To process donations you made;
- To send you information about our efforts;
- To coordinate volunteer and employment opportunities;
- To administer and troubleshoot the Site; and
- To enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Site.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Site. For example, we may use aggregate information regarding how long people browse our Site and the popularity of pages on our Site. Such information is not intended to identify you, and we may use and share such information for any purpose, including advancing our efforts at assisting crime victims and helping similar organizations.
3. When We Share Information We Collect from the Site
While we don’t typically share information outside of our organization, we may do so with your consent, with those who provide services to NVRDC, where needed to protect people from harm, where required by law, and/or if there are organizational changes.
Our practice is to avoid sharing your information outside of our organization, but we may disclose and/or share your information under the following limited circumstances:
- Consent: We may disclose your information to third parties based on your consent to do so. For example, if you ask for legal assistance and you ask us to provide your information to an attorney who can help you, we may do so. Likewise, if you ask us to provide your information to an organization who can help you with locating housing and/or other referrals/resources, we may do so in response to your request. Similarly, we may provide your information to member organizations associated with us.
- Service Providers: To operate our Site, we use service providers who perform services on our behalf. We may share your information with those service providers. For example, we may share your information with service providers that process donations for us.
- Volunteers: We may disclose your information with volunteers who assist us in providing services. These may include legal interns and attorneys.
- Protection of NVRDC and Others: We may disclose information collected through the Site if we are required to do so by law or if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (1) comply with a court order or legal process that requires we make such a disclosure; (2) enforce any contracts we have with you; and/or (3) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of NVRDC, its agents, or the public.
- Organizational Changes: In the event another nonprofit organization combines with or takes over management of our services, we may provide that organization with information collected from the Site.
We may use technology on our Site that helps us analyze how the Site is used.
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Services, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology previously described in the “Cookies and other electronic technologies” section to help us analyze how people use the Site, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive, and provide certain features to you. The information (including your IP address) collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Site. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
5. Your Choices
You can contact us to see what information we have about you, but we can require you to verify your identity before we provide further information.
To see what information we have about you, you may contact us at email@example.com. Before we provide you with such information, however, we may ask you to take steps to verify your identity. You may also contact us to request corrections to information we have about you.
6. Third-Party Links
7. Contact Us